"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot


Monday, June 2, 2014

Who cares what day it is.

I woke up on my hill, and on a gut feeling went strait to the on ramp. I got picked up by this lady who informed me the cops in the area are real bad about hitchhikers. I made it about a town down the road, but progress is progress. While waiting in the side of the road, I looked down and found an arrowhead. 


I got another ride with a rafting guide. She told me all about how deep in Appalachia we were. She had met the legendary Popcorn Sutton, the old moonshiner. She took me to basically the top of the Appalachian Mountains, where she guides. My last ride was also a raft guide, and she took me all the way to Asheville! I made it to North Carolina and officially made it across the US. 

The Smokey Mountains are awesome, by the way. 


When I got to Asheville I basically just walked strait to downtown, saw some train-riding hippies, and kicked it with them for the afternoon, making signs that said, "Smile, it makes your butt tingle." 

Our group grew, and after getting asked to move out of the way of the restaurant entrances, we learned it was legal to go topless in Asheville. So all the hippie chicks promptly indulged in their new found freedom. 

One of the guys there offered to wrap my arrowhead in silver. 


We left our bench spot for a little bit, and when we returned there were two young ladies playing music in front of our bench, so obviously I hopped in with the banjo. Another homeless guy walks up and picks up another guitar. One of the girls had mandolin, and we were shredding. Playing whatever songs people knew the words to, Zeppelin, AC/DC, and even some Sabbath. 

Some guy walking down the street was like, hey come into our bar and play there! So we go to this bar, and some girl is having a birthday. We keep playing these off the wall, ragtag songs and got some free beers. 

We made some tips and went to the gas station to buy some good ol' malt liquor. One of the guys we were with had this awesome bum spot where we could get down like some real bums. We drank the 40's and played more music. I had left my stuff in this guy's car, so we walked back and found some good trash food on the way. 

He was sleeping in his car so I grabbed my stuff and got to walking. I lost all my homeless hippie friends so I walked back out to the freeway to pass out in the bushes. Asheville is a great place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment