"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot


Monday, May 26, 2014

Day #8: I <3 Kansas

I woke up in the stairwell at the Quality Inn in Denver from people jumping up and down the stairs. I got my free continental breakfast plus a bagel for the road. Then I went down to the Flying J and charged my phone. 

When I got out to the on ramp, I got a ride in about an hour. It was a good hitching spot for sure. 


I got a ride from Bethany, who was lovely. A dirty Kansas loc (local), she told me all the nothing in Kansas is what makes it cool. She dropped me off just inside central time in Colby, KS, at the "Oasis on the plains." It was SO humid. It felt like being in a foreign country. It's weird, first thing I thought when I got to Kansas was, "We're not in Kansas anymore." This is the Midwest, it's a different world. 


Got picked up there really fast too. Everyone who drove past smiled and waved even if they didn't pick me up. People in Kansas are super nice. 

I got picked up by a fellow banjo picker! She also played old-time banjo and said she picked me up because I had a banjo. She was moving to Massechussettes, and her car was so full. With all my stuff, I was sitting in the passenger seat with my knees on the dash and head touching the roof. She was headed to Kansas City, but I decided to stop in Lawrence, the college town, a few miles before. This was a great decision. 

I got dropped off downtown and walked into Jefferson's, the restaurant with the most people and four dollar 23oz drafts. I got some food and a beer and kicked back for a bit. 



On a whim I asked the waitress if there was a place a homeless kid like me could sleep. Her reply was, "I mean, you could stay at my house.... But like, we're going out... Do you want to go out? Obviously! So we went out on the town with the coolest group of people, and I got a couch to sleep on. Thanks Amanda for being so nice to strangers and letting me join your crew for a night! I love Kansas!




1 comment:

  1. ??? Toll Plaza??? For what? Ah, those people know when they see cool standing on the roadside. I say Kansas has super smart people. Have a good night,

    ReplyDelete