"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot


Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day #10: We're not in Kansas anymore

Kelly was kind enough to drive me downtown bright and early, but my bus to the outside of town didn't leave until around four. I had the whole day to bum around in Kansas City. I took in some architecture then went to the park where every smart traveling kid does. 


I met another traveler there named Preston. He asked me if I wanted to drink some beers (this is like 10am) so I obviously said yes. We walked a few blocks to where less people were walking around and found a spot on the curb to loiter. He whips out two Steel Reserves and we split them both. Halfway through he mentions that he needs to find an AA meeting. All I could think was, "Then why are you out here drinking malt liquor on the curb this early?" 

We got kicked out of that spot and mobbed back the the park in time for lunch. So I played some banjo for the downtown workers on their lunch break and made $30, two burritos, and half a baked potato. We split it all. He bailed, and I had a bus to catch. 

I got to Blue Springs, Missouri, the farthest the bus goes from Kansas City, and tried to hitch a ride to the next travel station. It was so hot I couldn't handle standing on the on ramp. I went to Denny's and tried to find a place to stay. After walking around for like an hour I gave up and went to the bar. There were approximately four people in there, two older couples. 



Eventually a younger guy came in, Justin, and we played a game of pool. The older couples left and two more young people showed up, Holly and Patrick. We went to another bar and ran into one of Justin's "old friends". She's the one in green... 


Let's just say they had a history, and I think the look on his face says it all. That story isn't for this blog. 

Holly and Patrick said I could stay on their couch so we got some more beer and went back to their place. We started a fire and ended up drinking until the sun came up. I wasn't cut out for Blue Springs. They go too hard. I left in the morning and got breakfast at Denny's I tried to hitch a ride but ended up sleeping in the shade of a tree right off the on ramp. So ended day ten at 9am. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of you flecha. You inspire me. One day I want to go on an adventure such as this. But first I need to learn to play a banjo. Or any kind of instrument....

    ReplyDelete