"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot


Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day #9: People are nice.

Woke up on Amanda's friend's house and walked back through Lawrence to pick up my stuff. Thanks again to the Jefferson's crew for such a sweet night out. I got some coffee and started the hike out to the freeway, which was about two miles. I set up with my I <3 Kansas sign and had NO luck. Made it into a few photos, but no rides. 

A state trooper informed me I wasn't allowed to stand on turnpike (freeway) property so I went to the gas station and left my "going east?" sign up. I made almost fifteen bucks playing banjo at the gas station and a guy asked me how far west I was going. I said anywhere past here. So he took me in his orange astro-blaster van (complete with NOS kit) to the suburbs of Kansas City. I planned to take a bus from there to the far side of town where I could hitch out. Unfortunately buses don't run on holidays. 


Luckily one of the girls I met last night lived in this part of town, and not only did she let me sleep on her couch (as opposed to the park), she picked me up! Her name is Kelly and she is my heroine! Thank you so much for your couch and hospitality. 

So I'm in it ten days and I've made it 1,800 miles and 7 states. Quite the trip so far. People are nice, very, very nice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment