"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot


Friday, May 30, 2014

Day #12: Slowing down

Got a great night sleep in the grass behind the truck stop. I woke up to SO much dew covering everything. It gummed up the finish on my banjo. Everything was soaked. So I laid everything out in the sun and it all dried out. 

I went to McDonald's for free wifi and a place to charge my phone and write a blog. Then I got out on the on ramp to try to catch a ride. I got a few offers for short rides but I was trying to get across St. Louis in one ride. It started to rain so I went to the truck stop to try that strategy. 

I stayed there for like another hour or two but I got sleepy so I took a bum nap under a tree. 


I sat outside the truck stop for the rest of the day. Road life is very tiring. I can already feel it wearing on me. You're in public all day and always interacting with people even if they don't talk to you. Like a part of the social unconscious. 

There was a girl traveling with what seemed to be her family, and it was not her day. She was crying hysterically and what not. When she seemed to calm down she went inside, and when she came back out she gave me a couple dollars. The look on her face when I said thank you, you could just tell that somehow a random act of kindness did her some good. I'm still not sure what I think about the whole thing, but it felt like an interesting story. I won't forget it. 

My awesome Aunt Cecilia put me in contact with the sweetest old couple who drove an hour out their way to pick me up AND give me a place to stay. They were the nicest and smartest people. We actually shared a lot of the same views on things. Thanks so much to them!



No comments:

Post a Comment