"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot


Thursday, August 14, 2014

I Made It Home Alive

Got a ride on Craigslist from a really cool dude from Wenatchee. It took us two days to drive from Williston back to Washington. I'd say the journey back from Michigan has been more of a road trip than hitchhiking, it's just a different kind of fun. 

We basically just hit the road running. The first five hours of the drive are so boring you want to die. There's nothing, not even cell phone service. We just hauled ass in an attempt to make it to Glacier National Park before sunset. 


We made it just in time. This view went on as far as the eye could see, north and south. I remember rolling up on the mountains as the sun was going down. There was nothing, then in the distance you can see their silhouette barely outlined. These mountains seriously just pop out of the ground. We hiked to a sweet waterfall just as the light was fading. The water shoots out from under this rock. It was pretty unreal. 


The next day we spent more time being tourists and visiting the nature spots along the drive to Washington. It was a welcomed break from all the time I've spent in cities this summer. We saw the largest undammed waterfall in the state.


We also saw the redwoods of Montana. I mean, they weren't redwoods, but they were super big cedar trees! So big that they started to phase out of reality at the top. They reached the top of existance. It was pretty hard to capture in a photo. 


I made it to Ellensburg and spent some time with my friends. It was pretty great seeing people that I had met before. That was something I had taken for granted, knowing people. 

Then I had to hitchhike back to my parents house to get my car. This meant I would no longer be living out of my backpack. After traveling across US I finally got picked up by some hippies in Naches! They were in a Volkswagon bus and were so nice. Check out this dudes shirt. 


They drove me all the way to my parents house. So take that America, I made it back alive. I've proven you all wrong. The world is full of nice people. All you have to do is open yourself up to a little help. I think we live lives that are a little too radically self sufficient. I think we should lean on each other a little more. 

Stay tuned for the adventures of Madd Dog and Sparky as they travel down the Columbia River in the 16 foot canoe named The Barkin' Dog. It will be an adventure of extreme peril, exploration, romance, and tragedy. 







No comments:

Post a Comment