"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot


Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Life "Up North"

After Beaver Island, we sailed to East Jordan, MI. Not even 10 minutes at anchor and a bald eagle flew by. We hung out there for a few days and kicked back. Me and Maren took out some kayaks out and paddled up the Jordan River. We got to see a turtle sunbathing on a stump. Unfortunately the little bugger was too quick and jumped in the water before I could get a photo. 


The last stop on the great adventure "up north" was Drummond Island. Tim had an old high school friend with a cabin up there who invited us to come for a visit. 

This cabin was one of the coolest I have ever visited. It was built almost 100 years ago by Mary's (Tim's friend) grandfather. Who sounded like quite the eccentric. He built his own windmill before the island got electricity, it's some true rustic living though. I used my first outhouse, which happened to be a two-seater. (No one could really figure out why there were two seats...) 

I also got to use the outdoor shower, which was awesome. You can see over the curtain, and halfway through I saw a mama deer and her fawn. You just can't write this stuff. There was a ton of wildlife here too. 

Drummond Island was a lot like Washington. Very lush and lots of pine trees. Collecting firewood made me miss the Pacific Northwest for sure. 

And of course, a banjo duel was in order...


This was definitely my favorite part of the cruise. There's nothing better than good people, good food, and living the simple life. 

It's a 30 hour sail back to Detroit. I'm writing this on the boat after being on watch through the night. It's true what they say, the starts are absolutely amazing out here. I can't even count the number of shooting starts I saw last night. I was the only one up for about 4 hours, with nothing but the stars, the water, and some freighters off in the distance. Getting away from the city lights, you can't look away from the stars. Somehow they make you contemplate the bigger picture in life. It's easy to see why humans have always looked to the stars for answers. 

Now it's back to Detroit for Crownival, definitely switching gears. (If you don't know about Crownival, you should, and you will.)





No comments:

Post a Comment